Sam’s Secrets – Pick me Up Carrot Cupcakes
This month why not try these tasty moist carrot cupcakes that I just love to make as a Springtime treat. I make mini versions as a bite-size treat for our delegates and they are a real pick me up!
One day after making the ever-popular carrot and coriander soup, I had a few spare carrots left over. Rather than having them go to waste, I put together my own version of the classic carrot cake and they were so popular they’ve become a rotating staple of our home baking options and a firm favourite amongst delegates … and staff!
They are super easy and quick and other than the walnuts you’ll probably find the rest of the ingredients in your kitchen cupboards.
Makes 12 cupcakes
3 x eggs
225g self-raising flour
220g firmly packed brown sugar
6 roasted walnuts, halved
90g coarsely chopped roasted pecans
480g firmly packed coarsely grated carrot
2 teaspoons mixed spice
125ml vegetable oil
30g softened butter
200g icing sugar
80g cream cheese
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
1. Turn the oven on to 180° and line a pan with cupcake cases.
2. Sift the flour, sugar and spice into a bowl and combine with the oil and eggs.
3. Fold in the carrots and chopped nuts.
4. Divide the mixture between the cases.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until slightly golden.
6. Leave to cool.
7. Meanwhile beat together the butter, cream cheese and syrup in a bowl until light and fluffy.
8. Gradually beat in sifted icing sugar – the mixture should be spreadable. Spread the icing onto the cooled cupcakes and top with a whole nut or a sugar carrot.